＜本文发表于: 相约加拿大:枫下论坛 www.rolia.net/f ＞
Ottawa to limit Chinese arrivals
By Tom Godfrey
The Toronto Sun, July 11, 2001
Canada has cut the number of Chinese immigrants being allowed into the country for the first time in two years, the immigration department confirmed.
Chinese-Canadian groups have protested strongly, stating they weren\'t consulted. There\'s a backlog of 23,000 cases, with some people waiting four years to come here.
Recently released department statistics show 5,500 Chinese immigrants will be allowed in this year, compared to 7,000 last year, 6,500 in 1999.
Dr. William Siu, president of the United Chinese Community Enrichment Services Society in B.C., said his community wasn\'t notified of the reduction by immigration officials.
\"We were not made aware of the changes,\" he said.
\"It appears the community can say little about immigration policy.\" China has always been a leading source country for immigrants to Canada.
Immigration spokesman Danielle Sarazin said the reduction in immigrants was necessary because of a 33% increase in Chinese
applications for student visas and temporary work permits.
So far this year, there have been 11,300 applications, compared to 13,400 for all of 2000.
Canada will allow 110,575 immigrants into the country this year.
The remainder of the government-declared 250,000 quota is made up of inland claims and refugees.＜本文发表于: 相约加拿大:枫下论坛 www.rolia.net/f ＞