本文发表在 rolia.net/zh 相约加拿大网上社区枫下论坛
First of all, I declare that my points of view may be wrong.
Indeed, my Chinese counrtymen are very intelligent and dilligent. Among them, there are some experts in various fields.
More and more Chinese programmers are immigrating to Canada. But I have to say that some of them think themselves of as IT experts but in fact they are not.
1) Some of them were so-called IT managers when they were in China.
In most cases, these managers are no hands at IT technologies though they may graduated from Computer Science Department of some prestigeous Chinese universities. Unfortunately, Canada is reluctant in entending them manager positions. These people have to join programmer's rank but not all of them would like to admit they themselves are actually laymen. Instead, they often think themselves of as being "IT高手".
2) Some of them were really workforce when they were in China. Unfortunately, their working skills are legacy in Canada. Since I joined Sailor at this forum, I communicated many people who fall into this category. A quite number of Chinese programmers are still hacking on the following stuff: Delphi, PowerBuilder, FoxPro, COBOL, Lotus Notes...
Frankly speaking, no matter how experienced you are in these technologies, you will be a dead crab( a Shanghainese phrase) in Canada. If you are "??" in these technologies, you must admit you are no hands in Canada. I am not saying these poeple have no opportunities in Canada. There are some opportunites related to these technologies, but they are few.
3) "IT高手" on Microsoft technologies. For the reasons we can understand, Microsoft stuff is prevailing in China. In my eyes, Microsoft stuff is good, in particular, good for small business. However, Microsoft technologies are not dominant in Canada, though Microsoft's OS and OfficeSuite are here and there. Hence, those who have played on MS SQL server for a couple of years may find that there are not enough MS SQL servers for them to play. Likely, those who have ever managed a net work of about 150 Microsoft Windows may find that there are few pure Miscrosoft network in Canada.
4) Any Java "IT高手" from China? Yes, there are some, but only a few.
Chinese programmer community has been looking down upon Java.
For this reason, 9 of 10 Chinese Java programmers claiming 3 years of
Java experiences are telling traveller's jokes.
5) Who are the true "IT高手" from China? Some C++, in particular, VC++ programmers. C++ is an old lanaguage. It takes people years to become a good hand. Among the programmers I know from China,
I have witnessed a series of true experts. Unfortunately, Java was so dominating last year that some C++ experts had to embrace Java. Since the beginning of this year, Java is cooling down becausew dot-com's are crashing. So true C++ experts will have a more bright future.
6) My prejudice. Though many people though they are "IT高手", but I
have ever done some DCOM using VC++, or J2EE system (including
EJB, Servlet/JSP, JMS), or CORBA using C/C++/Java, it is likely that you are a "IT高手".
7) I am not intereted in disputing with people. I declare I am no expert.
Bo doing so, I save some friends from wasting time in arguing with me.
更多精彩文章及讨论，请光临枫下论坛. 网址: rolia.net/zh