1. Rental fee (in the worst case, you may need 6 months deposit, about the total of 6*900 = 5400)
2. Computer - 1500
3. Basic furniture 1000 - 1500
4. Few months spending 3*600=1800
So, I suggest:
1. Check the exchange rate at China and Canada (like www.tdcanadatrust.com's web site). My friend got better rate in China.
2. If the rate in China is better, take 6000 - 10000 CAD dollors with you; otherwise, take at least 3000 - 4000 with you.
3. For the rest of your money, I suggest you take US dollar. The interest for US here is better than CAD
4. I prefer TD Bank. When you have both US mutual fund and CAD mutual fund, and want to exchange from US to CAD, you can use the "middle price", so it's always better than the posted rate.