1) You can buy a house with only 5% downpayment with insurance from the CHOP.
2) The calculation of the value increase is not that simple.
3) For a new house, not much is needed for furnish and renovation. Not like the houses sold in China, you really don't need to do much when you move into a new house or just some cleaning job.
4) If you will stay in a location for more than 2 years and can afford the cost, buying you own home is a clever decision. The home market is so hot these days, most of the houses in the Ottawa area are more than 10% more expensive than they are 1 year ago.
5) It is a life-style, you can enjoy taking care of your own home - gardening, for exampe. Your kids can play around the house on the lawn, within your vision. You can stock up piles of lovely (maybe useless) stuff. You can hold parties, BBQ, etc. So why bother to wait till 45-year old when half of the best time in your life has already gone.
This post has been archived. It cannot be replied.