○ Crown starts by saying they ultimately believe #MengWanzhou should not get bail. But if given, if it’s up to defence to come up with and put forward application.
● #MengWanzhou’s lawyer now speaking again. Says this is a “matter of principal”, rejects that Meng are her husband’s interest are “too aligned”. Suggests the crowns earlier proposal that $7.5 mil. of her bail be given in cash, can be done.
● On crowns proposal that if given bail,#MengWanzhou be put on house arrest: her lawyer says Meng says she’s been working for 25 yrs and if she were released her goal would be to spend time with family, adding she hasn’t read a book in years, so if she has limited freedom so be it
● Judge says decision WILL be given today!
○ it's a boy!
● Vancouver time 2pm. The judge will announce his bail decision.
● Judge goes over the state’s arguments. The main issue for why #MengWanzhou should not be granted bail, according to federal lawyers, is to ensure she attends court (does not flee) - as opposed to protect public or ensure she doesn’t commit crime.
● Judge now giving some analysis. Mentions the state’s reasons for why #MengWanzhou may not show up to court, if given bail: no meaningful connection to Vancouver, wealth of family, has ordinary life in China
● Judge outlines the plans brought forward by the two security companies and the proposed bail conditions the defence brought, which includes her being home from 11p-6a and giving up passports.
● Judge goes over his previous concerns with #MengWanzhou’s husband being sole surety, as he’s a non resident and 6 month visitor visa holder.
● Judge grants #MengWanzhou bail for $10 million, $7 million of which must be cash.
● Judge sets number of sureties to 5, one of whom must be Scott Filer of Lions Gate security company.