sailor (Ocean & Mountain)

What happens if my permanent resident card expires while I am outside Canada?

Canada’s entry requirements are changing

Permanent residents (PR) of Canada must carry and present their valid PR card or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) when boarding a flight to Canada, or travelling to Canada on any other commercial carrier. If you do not carry your PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to board your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.

It is your responsibility to ensure that your PR card is still valid when you return from travel outside Canada, and to apply for a new PR card when your current card expires.

If your card expires while outside Canada and you plan to return to Canada by:

Private vehicle

There are other documents you can use to re-enter the country.

When you return to Canada, apply for a PR card if you plan to travel outside Canada again.

Some examples of private vehicles include, but are not limited to: a car, truck, motorcycle, or recreational vehicle that you own, borrow, or rent. It is a vehicle not available for public use.

Commercial vehicle: airplane, bus, train, or boat

You must apply for a permanent resident travel document. Otherwise you may not be able to travel to Canada.

You can apply to replace your permanent resident (PR) card when you return to Canada.


Most PR cards are valid for five years, but some are only valid for one year. The expiry date is printed on the card. If your PR card will expire within six months, you should apply to renew your card.

Check our processing times to see how long you will have to wait to get your new card.

If you need to leave Canada soon, you can apply for urgent processing.

Sign in and Reply
Share Online by QR Code
Page address has been copied.
To share, click to copy page address.